by Tom Casper ©
Alexander Mitchell (1817-1887) was instrumental in developing our city. He came to Milwaukee, Wisconsin Territory in 1839 with his business partner, George Smith from Scotland. At the time it was illegal to open a bank. To get around the banking law they opened Wisconsin Marine and Fire Insurance Company. They issued Certificates of Deposit which looked like currency and circulated as money. They received a banking charter in 1852. The bank underwent numerous name changes over the years until 1988 when they merged with Banc One.
Mitchell developed and consolidated numerous railroads becoming the president of the Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad, later known as the Milwaukee Road. He was involved in many businesses and organizations. It was said he was the richest man in Wisconsin at the time.
In 1870 he built an elegant mansion at 900 W. Wisconsin Ave. in Milwaukee. The three
floors contained a ballroom, library, conservatory with a small stream, palm trees
and many exotic plants, a gazebo, all of which was surrounded by a wrought iron
fence. The house was decorated with hand carved mahogany woodwork, stained glass
and inlaid tile. He lived here until he died. Mitchell St., Mitchell Blvd., Mitchell
Building at 207 E. Michigan St., Mitchell School at 1728 S. 23rd St., cities Alexandria
and Mitchell, SD have all been named in his honor.
In 1871 he became a U.S. Representative serving two terms. He died in 1887 at the age of 69 and is interred at Forest Home Cemetery.
Shown here is a postcard postmarked in 1909 showing the Deutscher Club. Also shown are three examples of trade tokens used at the Deutscher Club; 10c scalloped aluminum, 15c scalloped aluminum, and a 25c round brass token. These tokens would have been used circa 1895 – 1917.
Calendar of Events
- Feb 26: Racine Coin Club Show - Racine, WI
- Mar 3-5: PCDA Convention - Rosemont, IL
- Mar 9-11: ANA Spring Show - Orlando, FL
- March 12: Waukesha Coin Club Show
April 6-9: CICF - Rosemont, ILCANCELLED
- April 6-8: Chicago Coin Expo - Chicago, IL
- April 7-8: South Shore Coin Club Show - Crown Plaza Hotel
- April 8: MNS Boy Scout Clinic at SSCC Show
- April 26-29: CSNS Convention - Schaumburg, IL
- June 17-29: ANA Summer Seminar - Colorado Springs, CO
- August 1-5: ANA World's Fair of Money - Denver, CO
- Sept. 21-23: Illinois Num. Assoc. Show - St. Charles, IL
- Oct 1: MNS Coin Show - Serb Hall, Milwaukee
News and Awards
- CSNS Seminar in Milwaukee May 23, 2015
- Neil Shafer Receives ANA's Highest Honor
- 2014 Boy Scout Merit Badge Clinic
- MNS Donates Books to Local Libraries
- 2012 Boy Scout Merit Badge Clinic
- 2010 Young Numismatist of the Year
- ANA 75-Year Club Award
- Lee H.: Numismatic Ambassador